Announcing Craft 3
4th April 2018
Written by Daniel Westlake
We've been working with the excellent Craft 2 content management system for a while now and after 3 years of development and 7,700 commits, Craft 3 is now available and out of Beta. In this post we'll discuss what changes are brought in with this new, major release and some of the benefits it can bring for website and web app development projects.
Craft is a joy to use, both as a developer and website administrator, so we've been keeping an eye of the development of the new version Craft for a while now. Craft 3 now requires PHP 7 and takes advantage of this technology to make significant improvements to speed and scalability.
There are literally hundreds of new features and improvements packed into this release, but we’re particularly excited about a few of them
- Multi-Site. Craft’s localization features are all grown up.
- Image Editor. Crop, rotate, flip, and set focal points on your images.
- Asset Preview. Quickly view your assets everywhere by pressing Shift + Spacebar.
- Debug Toolbar. Learn everything there is to know about how your requests are being processed.
- Element Queries. Fetch the exact content you need.
- PostgreSQL. Like MySQL, but way better in every way.
- Plugin Store. Discover, try, and buy Craft plugins right in the Control Panel.
We'll be rolling out Craft 3 across our customer sites throughout 2018 and if you would like to know more, or put your site to the head of the queue, then drop us a line and we'll be pleased to hear from you.